These ‘tacos de camarones’ are great for an informal gathering, just arrange everything on the table for guests to assemble their own tacos. It can get messy, so provide finger bowls or large serviettes, and thin the crème fraîche to the consistency of mayonnaise and put it in a squeeze bottle to make it easier to use.
Wine Match: Mandoleto Pinot Grigio
- 1 x baby cos lettuce, finely shredded
- ½ bunch coriander, leaves picked and chopped
- 4 x Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 x avocados, diced
- 1 x Lebanese cucumber, diced
- 3 x green onions, finely sliced
- 3 x red radishes, cut into thin matchsticks
- Salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 18 x small soft wheat tortillas
- 36 x green prawns, peeled and deveined
- 50ml vegetable oil
- 200ml crème fraîche or sour cream, thinned with a little buttermilk or lime juice
- 100g pickled jalapeño chillies
- 200g drained canned tomatillos
- 1 x green jalapeño chilli
- 1 x green habanero chilli
- 2 x cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt flakes, to taste
- 5 x Roma tomatoes, halved
- 1 x large red onion, halved
- 5 x cloves garlic (unpeeled)
- 2 x red serrano chillies, halved
- Vegetable oil, for drizzling
- Salt flakes, to taste
- ½ bunch coriander, leaves picked
- Make Salsa Verde: pulse all ingredients in a food processor to form a coarse paste.
- Make Salsa Roja: preheat oven to 250ºC. Drizzle tomato, onion, garlic and chillies with oil, sprinkle with salt and roast for about 30 minutes, until well coloured, turning occasionally and removing the chillies if they start to char. Peel and seed tomatoes, peel onion, squeeze garlic from skins and process to a smooth paste in a food processor with chillies, coriander and salt.
- Combine lettuce, coriander, tomato, avocado, cucumber, green onion, radish, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 180°C and heat a barbecue or char-grill plate.
- Wrap tortillas in groups of 6 in aluminium foil and place in the oven for 5-10 minutes to warm through. Meanwhile, toss prawns in oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and grill for 1-2 minutes each side, until just cooked through.
- Spread some Salsa Verde and Salsa Roja on a tortilla, add prawns, salad, crème fraîche and jalapeños, wrap and eat.
Alternative species: bugs, marron, redclaw, yabby.
Recipe supplied by Sydney Seafood School.
Visit www.sydneyfishmarket.com.au/seafood-school/about-sss for more great seafood recipes and cooking tips, answers to frequently asked seafood questions and the full program of Sydney Seafood School cooking classes.