The lavash used for these tasty little snacks is flat, rectangular Middle Eastern bread popular for making wraps, also sometimes called mountain bread. Don’t mistake it with crisp lavosh crackers, which won’t work in this dish.
Wine Match: Madame Coco Blanc de Blanc Brut
Makes: 48 pieces
- 400g ricotta
- 100g crème fraîche or sour cream
- 100g Bulgarian white cheese, finely crumbled
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 x lime, zest finely grated
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- Salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 x pieces lavash
- 150g rocket leaves, trimmed of stalks
- 800g sliced cold-smoked ocean trout
- Mix ricotta, crème fraîche, white cheese, lime juice and zest, basil, salt and pepper to a smooth paste.
- Lay lavash on a work surface and spread a thin layer of ricotta mixture over the top. Layer with rocket, then smoked trout. Roll up each piece of bread as tightly as possible. Wrap firmly in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Unwrap, cut into discs and serve.
Alternative species: hot-smoked rainbow trout, hot or cold-smoked salmon.
Recipe supplied by Sydney Seafood School.
Visit www.sydneyfishmarket.com.au/seafood-school/about-sss for more great seafood recipes and cooking tips, answers to frequently asked seafood questions and the full program of Sydney Seafood School cooking classes.